The gorgeous sun and sand of the southern Pacific islands can’t compare to the beauty of Pacific Islanders. Ever wonder how they have such luxurious and shiny hair?
The secret lies in coconut oil used for thousands of years! Pacific Islanders used coconut oil for everything from treating wounds to moisturizing their skin.
To get the shiny, thick, and luxurious hair of island natives, look no further than coconut oil as an effective hair treatment that works better than many of the treatments on the market.
The average American woman spends around $900 per year on her hair. Over 35 percent of women use one or two products a day, while 17 percent use over three products a day.Did you know the average American woman spends around $900 per year on her hair? Insane! #CoconutOilForHairClick To Tweet
With the arsenal of hair products the average woman uses, you might to start to notice that between flat-ironing and curling your hair there are years of damage adding up and wrecking the texture of your hair.
Coconut oil for hair treatments can help if:
- Your hair is thinning and becoming more prone to breakage and split ends.
- It’s over-processed and feels coarse.
- Your scalp is dry and dandruff is more frequent.
- Your hair color doesn’t last as long as it once did and grays appears quicker.
Not to mention the chemical cocktail of toxins found in commercial hair care products not only destroy your hair texture, they also get absorbed by your scalp on a daily basis.
You should avoid the listed chemicals found in the majority of commercial hair products…
- Parabens found in shampoos. Used to prevent bacteria, they have been identified with an increased risk of breast cancer.
- Phthalates, used to increase softness in polymers such as hair spray, deodorants, and moisturizers. These are endocrine disruptors and can damage reproductive organs.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or Sodium Laureth Sulfate, found in 90% of personal care products. If it foams it probably contains sodium lauryl sulfate: shampoos, conditioners, and cleansers. SLS’s are skin, lung, and eye irritants and a potential carcinogen.
Why Does Coconut Oil For Hair Work So Well?
For starters virgin coconut oil is 100% natural, free of silicone, alcohol, parabens, and nasty chemicals.
Coconut oil is rich in in carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals that are all-good for the human body and can be used as the perfect hair treatment for various conditions.Virgin coconut oil is 100% natural, free of silicone, alcohol, parabens, and nasty chemicals! #CoconutOilForHairClick To Tweet
Coconut oil’s fatty acids actually penetrate the hair shaft and get past the cuticle. It makes and effective anti-breakage treatment and repairs damage from the inside out.
The things that make up coconut oil do amazing things for your hair, skin, nails, and so much more…
- Linoleic acid in coconut oil helps increase hair strength by preventing protein loss and maintains elasticity.
- Helps restructure hair.
- Brings back luster and improve the shine.
- Promotes growth and enhances the natural color.
- Lauric acid acts an anti-fungal in nature, which can help get rid of dry scalp and dandruff.
- Prevents hair loss with vitamin E.
3 Helpful Coconut Oil Hair Treatments
- Deep Conditioning Treatment
Massage a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil into your clean, damp hair and scalp. If only the tips are dry – only apply the treatment to the ends of your hair so your scalp doesn’t become too greasy. If the coconut oil in its solid state, you will need to warm the oil gently to create a liquid. Allow the oil to sit in your hair for about 20-30 minutes after applied. This treatment works best if you cover your hair with a plastic shower cap, towel, or an old t-shirt. Afterwards, fully shampoo the oil out of your hair.
Use a small amount of coconut oil on the ends of your hair after showering but before you brush it. This will help detangle, eliminate knots, and moisturize dry hair.
- Dandruff Treatment
Kill the fungus with coconut oil! Because of its natural anti-fungal properties, coconut oil is a great treatment for this common, yet embarrassing, issue. Apply it directly to your scalp once a day before bedtime. Leave it for at least an hour or keep it in over night, if that’s your preference.It’s also key to make sure to get virgin coconut oil that been cold pressed since that has all the active moisturizer and antibacterial properties you need to quickly and naturally get rid of dandruff. Shampoo as normal, no need to condition.
Repeat these treatments every day for 5-7 days to ensure that your hair and scalp are no longer damaged or dry. Whip your moisturized and healthy hair back and forth, girl (or guy)!